My last true vacation day before returning to what has been called the Real World dawned today. I've spent several hours working on my watermaker this morning. I'd not flushed it and the filters and internal liquid (I won't call it "water" anymore, although I suppose it is still more than 90% H2O) are filthy. The filter are pretty much black and the solution smells mainly like sulphur. I hooked up a bucket to the system and switched out the carbon block and the 2 water filters and flushed the system for an hour, then borrowed alkaline and acidic cleaning solutions from Jim on Kokomo which I'm using and I'll buy replacements tomorrow and return it to him. The first flush was the alkaline (Sodium Hydroxide, NaOH) solution and after an hour that was pretty much dark brown. Then another flush with freshwater and I used the acidic solution to get rid of any scale and anything that the previous one didn't get. I filtered and boiled the water for the two previous solutions to get it to dissolve faster and clean better while circulating through the pipes, tubing and cylinders.
I'm not sure if I'll take down the bimini and dodger today or tomorrow, as it really does keep the boat a lot cooler while suspended between the sun and the boat. But I've got enough smaller tasks to take care of below decks today. Putting stuff away, making sure that I've packed the right things and a hundred small tasks. Plus cleaning the heads and closing all of the through-hulls that I can reach...
The outboard engine is now safely stowed in the aft dinghy garage and the dinghy is secured on the foredeck. Both those tasks took a while to finish as I was working alone but I managed it without dropping the 20HP outboard overboard while heaving it up and didn't scratch the paint or dent the deck while getting the dinghy lifted onto deck and turned upside-down.
I continued work below decks, including defrosting the fridge with the hair-drier. That didn't go to well as the drier turned off after a couple of seconds and I thought I'd blown the fuse, but it was still switched to 110V for Lincoln's boat and after I switched it back to 220V and let it cool down it worked again. I'll turn the fridge off tomorrow afternoon and what little ice has built up will certainly melt and drain quickly.

Fouled old filters and new replacements Those old filters from the watermaker are dark black from growth and wow, did they stink of sulphur and other nasty compounds
(2021-10-31 08:37:49 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/4.5, 1/13s] ISO 64)
Fouled old filters and new replacements
Watermaker cleaning solution The cleaning solution for the watermaker looks pretty nasty after circulating through the system for an hour
(2021-10-31 11:10:59 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/3.2, 1/30s] ISO 64)
Watermaker cleaning solution
Outboard ready for storage The outboard has just been removed from the dinghy and cleaned and is ready to put inside the garage for storage
(2021-10-31 16:54:34 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/4.5, 1/40s] ISO 64)
Outboard ready for storage
Lifting up the dinghy Hauling the dinghy aboard and subsequently turning it upside-down for storage was made easier with the lifting assembly
(2021-10-31 16:54:45 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/4.5, 1/1250s] ISO 64)
Lifting up the dinghy
Blog images. Click on the picture to expand it to full size.

272 views since 2021-11-01, page last modified on 2021-11-01.