Visit the calendar master page for the daily blog entries
Although I've been getting up around sunrise every day, I haven't gotten any sunrise images at all but remember in time this morning to catch the sun coming up over the hills to the east. After working for a bit on the computer and downing 2 coffees and my poached eggs with toast I decided to take a break and attach the anchor chain to my newly cleaned swivel. This should have been a 2 minute job, using a metric Allen key to tighten the bolt after applying some Lock-tite. Alas, that was not to be. The new chain end link is just a bit too small for the swivel bolt to line up! Only 2-3 millimeters, and I think that this is because the link and its neighbour still have a bit of metal on the inside of the link. I'll take a small file to the link later and see if that solves my problem.
The guys working on the teak came by this morning and spent all day manually sanding that wonderful gloss away! It was painful to watch, but they used very fine grit paper and the sanding after the 2 days of drying was necessary to get a uniform surface for the final layers and to let the table look smooth. The teak on the tabletop has been abused with 1-2 seasons without a cover eating away at the soft teak grain. They didn't want to remove too much of the teak surface while preparing the table which means that in some places the top wasn't perfectly plane when they started.
I've looked at that link in more detail and checked the specifications for my anchor swivel. I went one size bigger on the anchor swivel than I needed and that is the problem, the pin is located just a tiny bit too far forward to allow the new link to seat. While I think I'll try to file away at the inside of the link, I might just get a shackle at the chandlery to attach chain to swivel - that should fit well. I don't know about adding yet another component to the chain as that is an additional source of potential failure. I did splice the 20mm poly line to the anchor chain end, but it was an incredibly tight fit and in the end I had to take one of the 3 strands apart and pull it's component strands through one by one to get it to fit! By the time I was almost finished it was time to get my pizza order in before they shut down due to the ongoing curfew, and after dinner it was dark so I'll have to complete that splicing work tomorrow.
I wasn't in the mood to read, so I searched through my library of movies and chose one I'd gotten from Kokomo - an action flick - Die Hard 4.0. It was entertaining but lacked the intensity of the original.