Visit the calendar master page for the daily blog entries
Today is lockdown Sunday for the whole island. That means I have no distractions or excuses to not finished my anchor chain painting and assembly.
I began early at 07:00 with the last coat of yellow paint and the first coat of red paint. It has now been an hour since I applied the red so I need to roll the chain around to get paint onto the other side, then I get to wait another hour for the paint to dry.
I got one more coat of red and then the rains set in. The weather radar shows showers coming through much of the day, so I might end up finishing the chain project tomorrow rather than today. I've got the A/C running since all the hatches are shut and the accumulated dust is washing off nicely in the heavy downpour. At least the paint was dry enough when the rains started and I'm not doing artwork but marking a chain so I don't care about imperfections in the finished product.
Nothing is moving outside, no traffic or other noise as today is a total lockdown which won't end until Monday at 04:00. I've got my cheap cut of steak bubbling away in the sous-vide pot and hope that by the time dinner rolls around the clouds will have dissipated and let me fire up the BBQ outside instead of having to use the stove top.
The rain came and went several times today, but I did use the intervals to prepare the chain locker with my high-tech method of keeping the anchor chain and rode out of the bit of standing water always present - some San Pellegrino bottles and a bit of starboard on top. This is covered with the flaked rode as can be seen in the pictures below and this will be hidden by the masses of anchor chain I'm going to pile on top. I wanted to construct a raised shelf for draining out of starboard but found that to be a bit too expensive for what I was getting and realized that my tendency to over-engineer certain items on the boat needed to be tempered with cost-benefit analysis and thus this solution was born. At least I didn't use the two big evils of home projects - duct tape and Bondo.
I had the steak going in the sous-vide for 24 hours and fired up the BBQ tonight for a steak and potato dinner. The steak certainly needed every minute of tenderizing but ended up being quite palatable! I have my last ripe mango for dessert and didn't read very much before nodding off in my favorite position in the cockpit and then heading off to bed downstairs.