The curfew ended this morning and I could hear the traffic again - mainly the motorcycle drivers who believed that exhaust pipes are for losers and that only 5-digit RPM values are acceptable. I'm sure some of those bikes have never even shifted beyond 2nd gear. I got my work done in the morning, helped along by copious amounts of coffee. The varnishers came by early and started preparing for the first coat of varnish by doing a final preparatory sanding and then washing the primed pieces down. Even with just one out of 8 layers the teak pieces are already looking slick and it is impossible for me to tell the differences between freshly applied varnish and a coat that has had time to dry beyond the tacky stage.
I had to close the hatches and windows while they were sanding and without air conditioning it soon became unbearable. I went across to Kokomo to finish the eye splice on the used 3 strand backup anchor rode and worked up a sweat doing the last 2 tucks; used line is really, really hard to splice! And to make things worse, I'd gotten the tucks wrong and the whole assembly looks like crap.
I had gotten a water hose extension on Saturday and could now bring the water all the way to the front of the boat, so I washed the anchor locker and then climbed down inside to manually fill a small bucket with rusty remnants of chain and then wash the remaining rust through the 2 holes. I don't have a fiberglass stain remover to get rid of the final stains but will take care of that tomorrow. The locker is big enough to almost stand in, but is very hot and humid so the next time I go inside it will be in the morning hours or at sunset.
The weather forecast for tomorrow is sunny and no wind, so I will turn on the A/C tonight and let it run all day tomorrow; it will make working on the computer a lot easier and will also give me an opportunity to do some cleanup work in the main cabin that I've been putting off for days due to the heat.

Sanding before varnishing Sanding inside the slats in preparation for the first coat of varnish
(2021-09-06 09:50:18 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/13.0, 1/100s] ISO 64)
Sanding before varnishing
Ready for varnish This table leaf is about to get the first application of varnish
(2021-09-06 09:50:20 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/13.0, 1/80s] ISO 64)
Ready for varnish
First Coat of Varnish The table cubby is drying on the docks after getting the first coat of varnish
(2021-09-06 12:46:56 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/13.0, 1/100s] ISO 64)
First Coat of Varnish
Table leaf first varnish The cockpit table leaf has gotten the first application of varnish on top and bottom and is drying in the sun
(2021-09-06 12:47:28 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/13.0, 1/100s] ISO 64)
Table leaf first varnish
Kokomo at the docks My neighbour at the docks. a big Hatteras power cruiser
(2021-09-06 12:48:23 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/13.0, 1/125s] ISO 64)
Kokomo at the docks
Careful brushwork The first coat of varnish being carefully brushed on by "Friend"
(2021-09-06 13:44:55 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/13.0, 1/30s] ISO 64)
Careful brushwork
One Coat of Varnish The two table lids are hung up by their hinges to make it easy to apply varnish and prevent unsightly blemishes
(2021-09-06 17:19:59 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/5.6, 1/320s] ISO 64)
One Coat of Varnish
Watching the Varnish dry The varnish looks wet and sticky, but is in actuality no longer tacky and well on its way to drying enough to put on another coat
(2021-09-06 17:21:15 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/8.0, 1/30s] ISO 64)
Watching the Varnish dry
Blog images. Click on the picture to expand it to full size.

149 views since 2021-09-07, page last modified on 2021-09-18.