My first video-call of the day began at 02:00 and lasted two hours before I went back to sleep for another 2 hours. This only happens every two weeks, but it makes Wednesdays very long indeed. I had the A/C running until I finished my work on the computer but as soon as I no longer needed to sit at the desk the A/C got turned off and the hatches opened to the nice breeze blowing outside.
My shock water treatment with bleach turned out to be more than a bit of overkill. Even after several days the water is still noticeably chlorinated, even after filtering with the Brita and boiling. Jim from Kokomo said that I'd overdone it and recommended draining the tank(s) completely and refilling without adding chlorine; the local water is somewhat chlorinated and of good quality so I shouldn't worry. I hesitate to waste 300 liters of water and might run a washing cycle or two and see what else I can do with the water rather than pour it into the lagoon. I still had to complete some splicing on Kokomo this afternoon and also needed to service the last big winch. I started the winch servicing first and for some reason this winch was quite dirty inside and showed lots of evidence of corrosion, much more than the other winches.
So I mixed up a solution of baking soda and vinegar for the bronze gears and used a bowl of Spotless Stainless on some of the gears that showed rust (getting into the crevices with my cleaning paste and toothbrush would be too time-consuming) and also attacked the inside of the main drum to get rid of some oxidation. All of the parts were in find working order, they just needed cleaning and re-greasing. This whole process took 3 hours from start to finish but also included polishing the stainless on the outside of the drum as well. Once I had the winch put back together I noticed a spare washer... which of course belonged somewhere on the bottom of the whole assembly...
I then went over to Kokomo and proceeded to put an eye splice into his 3-strand reserve rode. It is old and quite tight and I got the first two tucks done nicely with a lot of effort and 2 free beers from Jim. But then I made a mistake and had two outside strands parallel in the rode. I was sweating and tired from pulling the tough strands through and we decided to shelve the project until tomorrow and discussed dinner plans. I opted to try La Mesa but when I got there at 18:30 they told me that they were no longer seating so I ended up going to the Thai restaurant and ordered their hottest curry meal, which was watered-down to tourist tastes and was therefore only somewhat hot. I ate and read my book and at 20:00 they closed up and I left with the other remaining customers and returned to the boat.

Tarnished winch drum inside The heavy solid metal drum and insert are quite corroded and the ball bearings don't move freely so these will need some special cleaning
(2021-08-25 13:25:00 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/11.0, 1/30s] ISO 64)
Tarnished winch drum inside
Winch drum being cleaned The corrosion and dirt have been removed and I'm working on the gears. The ball bearings now move freely and inside lining has been cleaned and polished
(2021-08-25 16:23:08 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/2.8, 1/800s] ISO 64)
Winch drum being cleaned
Harken 70 lower before cleaning The grease has been slathered on and has collected debris and dust and some of the gears show a bit of rust
(2021-08-25 13:25:40 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/2.8, 1/800s] ISO 64)
Harken 70 lower before cleaning
Harken 70 lower after cleaning The gears are now cleaned and a light layer of grease applied to them prior to re-assembly
(2021-08-25 16:23:14 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/2.8, 1/1000s] ISO 64)
Harken 70 lower after cleaning
Vinegar and Baking Soda solution Bronze can be cleaned with a solution of vinegar and baking soda (forms a bubbly mix or a paste) and application of some elbow grease and soak time
(2021-08-25 14:29:36 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/2.8, 1/640s] ISO 64)
Vinegar and Baking Soda solution
Tarnished and unsightly gears Corrosion is evident on the stainless steel and bronze gears
(2021-08-25 14:29:44 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/2.8, 1/400s] ISO 64)
Tarnished and unsightly gears
Cleaning bronze gears Soaking and scrubbing the two bronze gears in a solution of vinegar and baking soda. These gears are bronze to prevent galling, which can happen on steel gears
(2021-08-25 14:35:25 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/2.8, 1/400s] ISO 64)
Cleaning bronze gears
Spotless Stainless on gears The gear parts have slight corrosion in locations that are hard to get to, so I opted to soak them in Spotless Stainless and let the chemical work take place rather than my normal mechanical cleaning methods.
(2021-08-25 14:49:34 NIKON D850 with a "24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8" lens. [f/2.8, 1/800s] ISO 64)
Spotless Stainless on gears
Blog images. Click on the picture to expand it to full size.

89 views since 2021-08-26, page last modified on 2021-09-18.