Visit the calendar master page for the daily blog entries
I think that the combination of heavy steak dinner, a full moon, my travel problems, and shifting winds in the anchorage all combined together to give me a bad night's sleep but I'm sure that I'll catch up tonight. The generator shut down due to "high temperature" last night when I ran it for an hour to top up the batteries and use the microwave and the oil and water levels are good, but I suspect that I'll have to open up the water hose going into the heat exchanger and try to remove the old impeller tines which I suspect are restricting the water flow and reducing the generator's cooling capacity. I will let the generator cool down for a day as it retains heat amazingly well and access to the hoses is very, very restricted.
After working remotely in the morning I opened up the floorboards over the generator to let it cool down faster and was shocked to see water swirling around in that bilge! Lots of water... I opened up the generator housing and saw a slow drip from the cooling pump assembly - perhaps I'd not tightened everything up correctly when replacing the impeller. I had a wet/dry shop vac that I got out of storage and attached to 220V to 110V converter to let it work and pumped out 10 gallons of water from the depths of the bilge. Then I removed the pump assembly to see if the new impeller was still in one piece (it was) and removed the hoses leading to the heat exchanger. It took over an hour to get access to the input hose of the heat exchanger and the pictures below show how much debris I removed from the intake side. The engine was still warm/hot to the touch from the previous night so there was a lot of sweat involved in this process, but at least the engine block wasn't scalding. After 4 hours of nonstop work I finally got the parts assembled again and fired up the generator to see if there was any water leak. There was, just a bit. This time tightening the heat exchanger coupling was tough, due to heat and inaccessibility but I got a couple more turns on the screw and also tightened up some of the hose clamps. This time when I ran the generator everything remain dry so I put the whole system back together and called it a day.
I had requested a PCR-Test again for testing on Jost van Dyke, and just before I went off and made a late dinner I got a test date for tomorrow morning at 10:00 - but in Road Town. That means that I need to get up at dawn and sail to some anchorage, go ashore and take a cab into town. The Jost van Dyke option would have had me take a mooring there, walk 5 minutes to the test centre and return to the boat.